Sunday, September 15, 2013

Sarria

It was a 12 mile journey to our next destination, Sarria.  There was a good amount of climbing through rolling hills and farm country.  Many times we came across farmers tending their cattle or working on repairing fences on their land.  It was obvious that the people were hard working and dedicated to their trade.  Most of the small villages we passed were simple with humble dwellings.  Usually the cattle and other live stock were lodged near the homes and then brought out to pasture during the day.  
We arrived in Sarria around 12:30 pm, had something to eat and walked through the town.  The town has become a major starting point for pilgrims with limited time to walk, but want to pick up a Compostela in Santiago.  Starting here in Sarria will just cover the required 100km to the cathedral.  So the Camino, from this point on, should be crowded with pilgrims on their was to Santiago.  Tomorrow we travel 14 miles to Portomarin.  
One of the things I "surrendered" when I began the Camino was shaving.  I've grown quite the beard, but will shave it off as soon as I return to the states.  Buen Camino !!!

Scripture passage: Sept. 15
Revelation 9:20

Prayer companion(s):
Jeanne Loughlin
Mark Lewis





3 comments:

  1. love the beard. your almost done. way to go... watching the Raider game and thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ray:
    Just remember, nothing last for ever...beard looks good, but I'm sure you're rejoicing in the fact you don't have to shave daily.
    According to your post, it sounds like, the fun will begin with many people making this their starting point for Santiago.
    Be well my friend, and stay safe.

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ray.
    Can I start calling you Santa? Beard is coming in nicely. You will most likely miss the part of having the road to yourself now that you enter the more "busy" part of the Camino. But I'm sure you will make new friends with new memories. This journey has really moved fast, at least for me, reading your daily blog. It seems like just yesterday, you started this journey. Boy, I'm exhausted as well. Boy, I could use a glass of wine. I've heard the local wine in Santiago is excellent. Have a glass for me. I wish you continued blessings on your walk and a safe return home. Can't wait to see the pics as you enter the last leg of your wonderful adventure.
    God Bless and Happy Sunday from the states.
    Boris

    ReplyDelete