Monday, September 9, 2013

Rabanal del Camino

Today we left beautiful Astorga, the last large city until we reach Santiago, and traveled to the small village of Rabanal del Camino.  It was only a 13 mile walk, but it seemed much longer than that. We are heading toward the mountains, and tomorrow we will climb to the highest point on the entire Camino, La Cruz de Ferro, where we will place our rocks that we have been carrying for many months, at the foot of the Cross of Christ at the top of the mountain.  The rock I've been carrying, since planning this pilgrimage, has the printed names of all the people I've been praying for during the journey.  Tomorrow I will place this rock at the foot of the Cross of Christ at La Cruz de Ferro, and ask The Lord to unite His suffering with those named on this rock, so that just as Christ was raised to new life through His suffering and death, they too may rise with Him to a new Way of life.  It will be an emotional and memorable time for me.  Let us pray for each other in a special way tomorrow so that God will use this extraordinary moment to grace us with His life and love.  Buen Camino !!!

Scripture Passage - Sept. 9
2 Corinthians 6:16

Prayer companion(s)
Bro. Kevin Slate
Fr. Roger Statnick

5 comments:

  1. Ray:
    Very touching...and very thoughtful of you to place your rock with all the names on it at the cross...thank you.
    I will say an extra prayer for you and safe journey.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Belated happy birthday - we miss you. I read your comments about the rock - thank you. I'm a sap, but it made me weepy. We are so looking forward to your return and can't thank you enough for letting us experience the journey either on your shoulder or in your heart. We have learned so much from your chronicles.

    Much love from both of us!

    Walt and Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Ray for the comments about the rock. Wow! Very touching to say the least. I will pray that those named on the rock and all of us here, are blessed with the Lord's love. Once again, thank you so much for sharing this amazing journey with us. The Huaman's will pray for your continued safe travels and return as well.
    Boris

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are truly missed, Father Ray. I've greatly enjoyed your posts. My family is praying for you and looking forward to your return. You inspire me. I thank you for that. Chris Lamiero

    ReplyDelete