Friday, September 20, 2013

Santiago

We have arrived !!!  Randy and I left around 6 this morning because we wanted to get to Santiago in time for the 12 noon pilgrim's mass.  We arrived around 10:45 and immediately went to the Pilgrims Office to receive our certificate.  There was a long line, so we waited about 45 minutes until we met with an official to record our pilgrimage and to receive the Compostela.  It was an emotional time when the recorder handed me the Compostela and said my name congratulating me on my completion.  The official stamp of the Cathedral is on the Compostela as well as my pilgrim's passport.  As we were waiting on line we once again saw our "angel."  This was a man named Victor who has been traveling the same days we have.  He started his pilgrimage in Rome.  On a daily basis he would stand outside of church and beg.  I would always give him some money, but that was the way he made his pilgrimage, on the generosity of others.  Every day we would greet each other with a simple hello and smile.  Today, we were happy to see him once again.  When you least expected, he would appear giving us hope and strength. Math at why we called him our little angel ( see picture below).

We attended the pilgrim's mass and at the end of mass they incensed the people with the fumarrio.  It was quite moving.  I took a video of the ceremony but i can't seem to publish it on the blog, so i included a picture.  
give thanks to God for a safe journey and for the opportunity to be surprised with His love and care.  It has truly been a Buen Camino !!!

7 comments:

  1. CONGRATULATIONS!!! You made it. What an accomplishmemt. It has been great following your blog.It kind of made me feel like I was right there with you. Thank you so much for sharing.
    Can't wait to hear more about your journey and maybe see more pictures. Have a safe trip home. Take Care & God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wahoo. congrats and YOU DID IT. Now it's time to reflect and enjoy the rest of your sabbitcal. Your truly missed and can't wait to see you dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Fr. Ray!! I am so proud of you and can't wait to see you back in CA again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Ray!!!
    I was reading your blog from the last couple of days and saw there was a moment where you were in need of God's strength...and you found it or you would not have made it to the end. It has been an amazing journey and thank you for taking along for the ride. The Huamans are looking forward to having you come home and share, in person, your trip. I prayed to God that he would take care of you everyday during your trip. Now I pray he brings you home safely. Take care and CONGRATULATIONS!! Safe travels my friend.
    Boris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations, Father Ray! Your are a true inspiration to all. I hope your feet are doing well. Perhaps a little vino will speed their recovery. You've been greatly missed. I hope you can find some time upon your return to schedule a talk on your journey. And, yes...a slide show would be most called for.
    Blessings,
    The Lamiero Family

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on finishing this pilgrimage and thanks so much for taking the time to share with us as you journeyed! Hope and expected that the things you learned and the people you shared this with will be with you always.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations Ray....what an accomplishment....you did it!
    Thank you for taking so many people along with you on your journey.
    Can't wait until you return so I can hear all about your trip first hand.
    Job well done my friend
    Rest up, you deserve it.

    ReplyDelete