Monday, September 16, 2013

Portomarin

The Camino was very crowed today as we traveled to Portomarin.  You could identify the new pilgrims because they were all excited, taking lots of pictures, chatting a lot, and on their cell phones.  Much different than our experience prior to Sarria.  Although, we could identify with them because when we left St. Jean, we were just as excited about the journey ahead.  We traveled through farm land and passed through many small villages.  We stopped for a break at one of the cafes and came across Rolando, a man from Portland that we met on the train to St. Jean.  We lost contact with each other, but re-connected in O Cebreiro, over 30 days into the journey.  He is walking with his cousin from Cuba.  We both plan to be in Santiago on Friday and attend then Pilgrim's mass that evening.  
The next couple of days are challenging.  Tomorrow we walk 15 miles, and the next day 17 miles.  It's amazing how we've managed to have the strength to accomplish the task.  Sometimes I find myself praying to God for the strength to reach our destination, and He always seems to answer the prayer.  It's all part of the experience on the Camino.  The photo's below are of an old woman who was working in the field today.  The people are so connected to the land.  There is a sacredness that I've seen in all of this.  I have learned a lot!!   The other picture is of Rolando, his cousin, and myself when we met at this cafe this morning.  It's amazing how God brings total strangers together to support each other on the Way.  Buen Camino!!!

Scripture passage: Sept. 16
Psalm 1:1-2

Prayer Companion(s):
Mary and Paul Stickel


3 comments:

  1. Ray:
    Yes, it's amazing how people "hook up" along the way, then go on a different path, but again, "hook up" in the end....Just like religion...different paths but in the end, we all get to the same place...
    I wish you safe journey and you will find the strength to make it to the end...again, it's not the destination, it's the journey.
    Safe travels my friend,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fr. Ray, I have been enjoying your blog very much! Jim Noe sent me a link to it. My wife and I are from St. John Vianney in Walnut Creek and we will be doing the last part of the Camino starting in Ponferrada on Sept. 26. You and your group have been in my prayers. Buen Camino!

    Mark MacMahon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ray.
    I'm very excited for you. Having reached this point of the Camino, it has to be rewarding and fulfilling of the heart, mind and sprit. I know that with your determination and faith, along with your inter strength, it will carry you to Friday. I am right there with you. Can you see me with my little banner that reads, "Ray...Si Se Puede". You are absolutely right about how God brings people/strangers together to become supporters of each other. I continue to pray for you and the other fellow Camino mates. Continued success and safe travels.
    Boris

    ReplyDelete