Thursday, September 19, 2013

Rua

We left at 7:30am.  It was still dark outside, so we used our head lamps on the way.  Although the Camino was very crowded, the journey was very peaceful as we encountered moments of quiet and solitude.  We passed through many small villages and walked through groves of eucalyptus tree bordering the Camino.  The smell of the eucalyptus trees reminded me of the Bay Area.  We traveled about 12 miles and finally arrived at our destination around 12:30pm.  The village of Rua has a population of 50 people, our last quiet evening before we enter Santiago tomorrow.  

As I was walking today, I was reflecting on the journey that I've been on for the past 38 days.  The people I've encountered, the quiet times and the bustling times, my God moments, the food, wine, and friendships, the people that I've remembered in prayer, and those moments of new discoveries, have been all quite amazing and transforming.  I can't believe that I've walked almost 500 miles, and I'm still going strong !!  Even my feet are feeling pretty good.  It's all a great blessing and I am most thankful.

Tomorrow it is on to Santiago.  We will try to leave early, around 6:00am, so we can make the Pilgrim's mass at noon.  We will also attend the 7:30pm mass where they will use the giant fumarrio and incense the assembly during the mass.  Tomorrow, as we enter the city, there will be even more pilgrims walking along the Way.  Bus loads of pilgrims will be dropped off before the city to walk the final mile or two to the Cathedral, so I'm trying to keep my focus on why I am here and not let the crowds and the excitement of reaching our destination cloud my prayer.

On Saturday, the plan is to drive Finisterre (the end of the world) and deposit our boots there.  My boots are really worn, inside and out, so leaving them at the end is most fitting.  Only 19km to go.  Until tomorrow, Buen Camino.

Scripture passage - Sept. 19
Psalm 16:11

Prayer companion(s)
Bishop Michael Barber
Priests of the Diocese of Oakland


2 comments:

  1. Dear ray and friends
    I can't believe the end of your journey is so near. I am blessed to be a witness to your amazing journey which you allowed us into...the blog has allowed us all to walk albeit not physically with you. I continue to hold you and randy and all companions in prayer as we look forward to your safe return home.
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, only 19 km to go!!
    you and your companions are amazing and round of applause.

    Congratulations and have a safe trip back

    God bless,

    warmly, Mary and Chong-ho Lee.

    ReplyDelete